Dateline Irish sponsored by BrandMill, LLC - marketing experts who will transform your business through fact-based processes and innovative marketing systems designed to achieve dramatic, measurable and profitable results.
Sunday, August 14
• In IRELAND – National Hunger Strike Commemoration March, Camlough South Armagh, (national mobilization details to follow).
• Echoes of Erin on WEDO 810AM at 12:30pm, Live News – The Ireland Report from Galway with Brian Nolan. Live Stream www.wedo810.com click on “Listen Live”.. Information Diane Byrnes 412.781.6368. Interview from Ireland with Larry Brophy on attending the ‘National Hunger Strike Commemorations’.
• The West Virginia Irish Road Bowling Association will sponsor a pilot program from May 1 to October 8, 2011. Matches taking place in Ireland, WV; Buckhannon, Blackwater Falls State Park, Canaan Valley Resort State Park, Cacapon Resort State Park, Smithburg (near West Union), Philippi, Shepherdstown, Elkins, Kingwood, Holly River State Park, and Stonewall Jackson Resort State Park. Information www.wvirishbroadbowling.com
. David Powell, 202.387.1680.
Tuesday, August 16
• Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie, 412.279.0770, features Irish Night with Harp, Guinness, & Smithwick’s Specials from 8:00 PM. Happy Hour is every Tuesday through Friday from 5pm to 7pm. Paddys' opens at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Dinner Hours: Tues-Thurs 5-10 p.m., Fri & Sat 5-11 p.m.
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Ceili Dancing from 7:00 pm.
Wednesday, August 17
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Back Deck Acoustic Music w/ Mike Filosemi of 8th Street Rox from 7pm
Thursday, August 18
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Notre Dame Trivia at 7:00pm.
Friday, August 19
• Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie, 412.279.0770, features Entertainment at 900pm.
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Happy Hour w/ Dean Kostich at 5:30pm. Music with Ricky Manning at 9:00 pm.
• Mike Gallagher, Ballad Singer, performing at East Street, 201 Grant Street, Downtown from 5pm to 8pm.
Saturday, August 20
• In IRELAND – Óglach Mickey Devine Anniversary, Vigil at Hunger Strike Monument Rossville St. 1pm.
• National Hunger Strike Exhibition venue The Guildhall, Pat Sheehan ( former 1981 Hunger Striker ) / Bik Mc Farlane ( former O.C. H Blocks 1981 ) in attendance, opening times between 12pm - 5pm
• Neal Delaney Memorial Golf Outing at Rolling Fields Golf Course, 4138 Hankey Church Road, Murrysville 724.335.7522. Information Jim Delaney 412.213.0299.
• Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie, 412.279.0770, features Entertainment at 900pm.
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Ballad Singer Mike Gallagher at 9:00 pm.
Sunday, August 21
• Allegheny County LAOH is sponsoring Our Lady of Knock Mass at St. Patrick’s Church, 17th Street & Liberty Ave. at 11am. All are welcome.
• Echoes of Erin on WEDO 810am beginning at 12:30pm. The Ireland Report from Dublin with Davy Kettyles. www.wedo810.com ‘Listen Live’. Information Diane Byrnes 412.781.6368. Guest in studio, Bill Lee, President AOH Division 1, Washington County – on the program “Irish Honor America”.
Wednesday, August 24
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Maddie Arnold on Vocals & Guitar from 7pm
• Preview Party at the Pittsburgh Public Theater celebrating its upcoming Red Hot season with a from 6 to 8:30 pm at the O’Reilly Theater in Downtown’s Cultural District. Doors open at 6 pm for a happy hour with musical entertainment, munchies, and refreshments (including beer and wine). At 7 pm, Producing Artistic Director Ted Pappas will give an entertaining sneak peek at The Public’s 2011/12 lineup of plays and special events. In addition, one-night-only discounts will be offered on subscription packages and a raffle will feature valuable prizes, such as season tickets with a year’s worth of pre-show dining ($1000 value), and other great items. Tickets for the Preview Party at The Public are $10. To purchase, visit the O’Reilly Box Office, call 412.316.1600, or go to www.ppt.org
Thursday, August 25
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Mike Medved from 7pm
Friday, August 26
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Happy Hour on The Deck with Andy Halter at 5:30; Ballad Singer, Terry Griffith at 9pm.
Saturday, August 27
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Ballad Singer, Sean McClorey at 9pm.
Sunday, August 28
• Echoes of Erin on WEDO 810AM at 12:30pm, Live News – The Ireland Report from Belfast with Mairtin O’Muilleoir or www.newbelfast.com and www.irishecho.com. Live Stream www.wedo810.com click on “Listen Live”.. Information Diane Byrnes 412.781.6368.
• The Annual PCC Picnic at the Rose Barn in North Park from 1:00pm - 8:00pm. Member admission is free - non-member admission is $8.00. Dinner will be served at 3:00pm. Ceili dancing will follow dinner. We will have games, raffles, bingo, and prizes. Information: email@example.com or Cheryl McLafferty Grey - firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday, August 31
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Mark Guiser on Vocals & Guitar at 7pm.
Friday, September 2
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Happy Hour w/ Tim & John at 5:30pm; Live Music at 9pm.
Saturday, September 3
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Live Music at 9:00pm.
September 2 through September 4
• 73rd National Folk Festival in Downtown Nashville TN, Performances with: Green Fields of America, Irish-American music and dance; Mariachi Los Camperos de Nati Cano ¬– Mexican mariachi; The Holmes Brothers –blues, gospel, R&B; Dale Ann Bradley – bluegrass; BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet – Cajun; La Excelencia – salsa dura; Roan Mountain Hilltoppers – Appalachian old-time string band; Samba Mapangala & Orchestre Virgunga – East African rumba and soukous. Plus more will perform!!
For additional performer information and photos, visit www.nationalfolkfestival.com. The National Folk Festival is a celebration of traditional music and cultures from all over the United States over this Labor Day weekend. 615. 891.4944.
September 9 to 11
• Pittsburgh Irish Festival at The Riverplex at Sandcastle opening at 4:00pm on Friday. Entertainment: Gaelic Storm, Makem & Spain Brothers, Screaming Orphans, Carbon Leaf, Goitse, Tom Sweeney, David Kincaid, Searson, Colin Grant Band, Dennis Doyle, Cahal Dunne, and more. 412.422.1113, www.pghirishfest.org
. Local Talent: Terry Griffith, Guaranteed Irish, Red Hand Paddy, Matthew Craig & Kerry Tipper, Mark Guiser, Corned Beef & Curry, Mike Gallagher, Callan, Bell School of Irish Dance, Burke-Conroy School of Irish Dance, Shovlin Academy of Irish Dance, Patrick Regan, Pittsburgh Irish Reelers, Pgh. Police & Drums. Dogs, Irish Sports, & Marketplace. New this year Kerry Bog Ponies & Genealogy Pavillion. Information: 412.422.1113.
Sunday, September 11
• Echoes of Erin on WEDO 810am, The Ireland Report with Patricia Sharkey, Donegal; Editor of the Donegal Newsletter at www.dun-na-ngall.com. Live Stream – www.wedo810.com
click on “Listen Live’
Saturday, September 17
• Washington County, AOH Division 1 will sponsor “Irish Honor America”, with the Singing AOH, at Rostrevor Ice Garden, Route 51 South. Information contact Bill Lee, 724.483.5938 or Email email@example.com
. Further details TBA.
• Irish Night at St. Catherine of Sweden Church Hall, 2554 Wildwood Road, Wildwood PA 15091. Gaelic Mass at 4:00pm, Festivities in Church Hall at 5:30pm with entertainment by, Celtic Swedes, Ballad Singer Mike Gallagher, Guaranteed Irish, The Bell School of Irish Dance, and Cue Ball. $30.00 per person, includes dinner, dessert, refreshments, 50/50 raffle & Chinese auction. Proceeds benefit the Building Fund. Information 412.486.6001.
Friday, September 23
• AOH Division 4’s Irish Heritage Golf Classic benefits Tuition Assistance Fund for Diocese of Pittsburgh elementary schools, at Highland Country Club in West View. Shotgun start at 9 a.m. $ 100 per player. Tee and Corporate sponsors welcomed. Contact Bob Parry 724.933.0427 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features The Official Notre Dame Pep Rally beginning at 6:00pm. Details to follow.
Saturday, October 1
• The first Anne Mullaney Dream for Haiti Golf Outing. Information David Regan @ 412.648.6622.
Monday, October 3
• In IRELAND – Candlelight Vigil to mark ending of Hunger Strike, assemble 6.30pm. Mickey Devine’s house ( Rathkeele Way ) and linking up to Patsy O Hara’s house (Ardfoyle, Bishop St.) then preceding to Hunger Strike Monument Rossville St.
Tuesday, October 4
• Celtic Thunder in Concert at The Benendum downtown Pittsburgh.
Sunday, October 30 through December 11
• The Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh welcomes a new group of 21 young persons for the Wider Horizons Program. This group is from the Tyrone-Donegal Partnership based in Omagh, Co. Tyrone. If you can host a one of these young folks at home or at work please contact Rob Tierney at the Ireland Institute at 412.394.3900 or email@example.com. http://www.iiofpitt.org/
November 11 & 12
• The Balmoral Classic featuring the US Junior Solo Bagpiping and Snare Drumming Championships plus a concert with Breabach direct from Scotland. Information 412.323.2707 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, November 26
• In IRELAND – Annual Pól Kinsella Function in conjunction with ’81 Hunger Strike Committee, remembering all those who played their roll during the 1981 Hunger Strike period both inside Blanketmen / Women Armagh and outside Relatives Action Committee / Youth Against Oppression.
Irish Groups & Organizations
Ancient Order of Hibernians, Allegheny County Board, AOH Division 1, 4, & 17 - http://www.pittsburghirish.org/AOH/index.htm
Ancient Order of Hibernians, Division 32 - http://aoh32.org/blog.html
Daughters of Erin and Knights of Equity - http://www.knightsofequity.com/daughters.html
Hall Rental, Blair Leahy – 724-935-4015
Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh - www.iiofpitt.org
Irish American Unity Conference - www.pittsburghirish.org/IAUC/index.htm
Irish Centre of Pittsburgh – http://www.pittsburghirish.org/irishcentre
Pittsburgh Ceili Club - www.pittsburghceiliclub.org/
Pittsburgh Irish Centre - http://www.pittsburghirish.org/irishcentre/index.htm
NEW Southwestern PA Emerald Society
Guests & Interviews in 2011
Aug 14 - Larry Brophy, on the Hunger Strike Commemorations in Ireland, from Ireland
Aug 21 - Guest – Bill Lee, Washington County AOH Division 1
Aug ?? - Eugene Downes, CEO of Culture Ireland
SPONSORS OF THE IRELAND REPORT 2011
January, February & March - Goodrich, Goodrich Attorney’s At Law, 412.281.1455
April - AOH Division 1, South Hills
May - Knights of Equity http://www.knightsofequity.com/
June - AOH Division 4, North Hills
July - Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh
August – Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle
September - AOH County Board
October - AOH Division 32, Carnegie
November - Irish American Unity Conference
December -Daughters of Erin, http://www.knightsofequity.com/doepgh.html
Inspirational Moments -- Sponsored by
March – Tom Jennings, Prudential Reality
September – Gaelic Arts Society of Pittsburgh
July, August, October, November, December -- OPEN