Dateline Irish sponsored by BrandMill, LLC
, - marketing experts who will transform your business through fact-based processes and innovative marketing systems designed to achieve dramatic, measurable and profitable results. Steve Wayhart 412.401.0555.
Sunday, October 16
• Echoes of Erin on WEDO 810AM at 12:30pm, Live News – The Ireland Report from Dublin with Davy Kettyles. Live Stream www.wedo810.com
click on “Listen Live”. Information Diane Byrnes 412.781.6368.
• NOW THROUGH October 30
– Pittsburgh Public Theater launches its 37th season with Electra, written by ancient Greek master Sophocles and adapted by Frank McGuinness. Ted Pappas will direct Electra. It runs September 29 – October 30, 2011 at the O’Reilly Theater, Pittsburgh Public Theater’s home in the heart of Downtown’s Cultural District. For tickets call 412.316.1600 or visit ppt.org
. Electra is presented by First Niagara with production sponsors Jim and Electra Agras and Production Underwriters Jim and Kathe Patrinos.
• Do you want to learn Irish Gaelic? Contact Peter Gilmore at www.cngaeilge.com
Tuesday, October 18
• Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie, 412.279.0770, features Irish Night with Harp, Guinness, & Smithwick’s Specials from 8:00 PM. Happy Hour is every Tuesday through Friday from 5pm to 7pm. Paddys' opens at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Dinner Hours: Tues-Thurs 5-10 p.m., Fri & Sat 5-11 p.m.
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Ceili Dancing from 7:00 pm.
Wednesday, October 19
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Open Mic w/ Bob Banerjee at 7:30pm.
Thursday, October 20
• Scythian and Enter The Haggis performing at The Rex Theatre, 1602 East Carson St., on the South Side. Doors open 8pm, Show at 9pm.
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features TRIVIA with Johnny Connolly.
Friday, October 21
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Happy Hour at 5:30pm W/ Dean Kostlich then live entertainment on stage with Whiskey Limerick at 9:00pm.
• Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie, 412.279.0770, features Ballad Singer Mike Gallagher at 9:00pm.
Saturday, October 22
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features McClorey & Manning at 9:00pm.
• Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie, 412.279.0770, features Ballad Singer, Sean McClorey at 9:00pm.
Sunday, October 23
• The Ireland Report from Belfast with Mairtin O’Muilleoir or www.newbelfast.com
and www.irishecho.com. Live Stream www.wedo810.com click on “Listen Live”. Information Diane Byrnes 412.781.6368.
• The Fort New Salem Foundation will introduce Irish Road Bowling, a Civil War era sport, as a benefit match at 1:30pm. New events at Fort Salem include: blacksmithing, dulcimer, and other workshops, the Front Porch Series of concerts, and during December weekends, the traditional Spirit of Christmas in the Mountains. All proceeds benefit the Fort New Salem Foundation; cost $20.00 per person includes a Pioneer-style dinner at the Fort or $10.00 dinner only. Registration, Salem City Building, 229 West Main Street, Salem WV 26426, 304.782.1318, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday, October 24
• The Irish Variety Show with Michael Funge (from Co. Wexford) www.irishsinger.org
& Guests (Mychelle Carre, Champion Step Dancer, Bernard McHugh, vocalist, musician from Co. Cavan), Rachel Hair, Harpist, (from Co. Antrim & Scottish Highlands) and Barry Collins (Cork City); takes place at 7:00 pm, Northern Cambria Elementary Middle School, 600 Joseph St., Northern Cambria, PA 15714. Tickets & Information Mary Ellen Tibbett, 814.659.6565. http://www.irishvarietyshow.biz/ . http://www.irishvarietyshow.biz/id3.html.
Friday, October 28
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, Happy Hour w/ Andy Halter at 5:30pm, then you are invited to The Lisdoonvarna Matchmaking Festival
beginning at 7:00pm.
Matchmakers, Games, Prizes, Karaoke, Psychic Readings, Specials, and tons of fun – come meet your ‘match’. Information call David Regan 412.642.6622
. Wear a costume for the costume contest! Over its 15 year history, it's become enchanted, as over 70 couples have met at the Harp & Fiddle and "lived happily ever after." Our Lisdoonvarna festival is meant to be fun. Our "matchmakers" will assist you in "making a match," if you choose. Just walk up to one of the matchmakers and let them know who you "fancy," and they would be happy to help you see if you can find, "Love at Lisdoonvarna!" Entertainment will be The Andy Halter Duo.
• Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie, 412.279.0770, features live entertainment at 9:00pm.
Saturday, October 29
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Ballad Singer, Terry Griffith at 9:00pm.
• Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie, 412.279.0770, features Ballad Singer Mike Gallagher at 9:00pm.
Sunday, October 30 through December 11
• The Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh welcomes a new group of 21 young persons for the Wider Horizons Program. This group is from the Tyrone-Donegal Partnership based in Omagh, Co. Tyrone. If you can host a one of these young folks at home or at work please contact Rob Tierney at the Ireland Institute at 412.394.3900 or email@example.com. http://www.iiofpitt.org/
Friday, November 4
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Corned Beef & Curry, 9pm.
Saturday, November 5
Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features 9th Annual Guinness Oyster Festival
– Fresh Oysters on the half shell, Fried Oysters and Oyster Stew. We will also offer our delicious regular menu that will feature all of our new menu items. The music Music will start at 2:30pm
with The Denmon Sides Project
. This duo has been together since 2010 but separately they have been performing for years in the Pgh. area. Jess Sides is the lead vocalist and plays acoustic guitar. She can sing like an angel. Graham Denmon performs on the Fiddle and together they make music that will have you dancing in the aisles. They will be followed by Tim and John
. Tim and John play all of your favorite tunes from the 70's right up until today; followed by
another Happy Hour favorite in The Professor and Mary Fran
. The entertainment will be headlined by Guaranteed Irish
• AOH Division 17 in Monroeville invites you to join them for a “Trip to the Meadows Casino
”. Information Bill O'Neill, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, November 6
• Echoes of Erin on WEDO 810am, The Ireland Report with Patricia Sharkey, Donegal; Editor of the Donegal Newsletter at www.dun-na-ngall.com
. Live Stream – www.wedo810.com
click on “Listen Live’.
• LAOH Maude Gonne Division 32 will hold a Fundraiser Luncheon at The Nevillewood; information and reservations call Patti Flaus at 412.921.7829.
Friday & Saturday, November 11 & 12
• The Balmoral Classic featuring the US Junior Solo Bagpiping and Drumming Championships plus a concert with Breabach direct from Scotland. Information 412.323.2707 or Email email@example.com. Friday - Welcoming Reception at Pittsburgh Athletic Association with entertainment by Guaranteed Irish. Silent Auction, raffle, door prizes, hors d’oeuvres and cash bar, Tickets $20. Saturday – the competitions take place at Mellon Institute at Fifth Ave. & Bellefield St. in Oakland, Free Admission. Evening concert with Breabach, Scottish Folk Band, at McGonigle Theatre, Central Catholic High School, Fifth Ave., in Oakland Ticket Prices: from $35 down to $14.95 for students, 412.394.3353 or www.proartsthickets.org.
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Seamus Kennedy, Singer, Musician, Story Teller & Funnyman. He’ll keep you chuckling! 9pm both nights.
Saturday & Sunday, November 12 & 13
• Heinz History Center presents Heritage Holidays at the Heinz History Center, 1212 Smallman Street, in The Strip from 10 am to 4 pm. A variety of Irish organizations will have display tables along with many other ethnic groups.
Saturday, November 12
• Paul Byrom (formerly with Celtic Thunder) will appear in concert at WQED Theatre Studio, Fifth Ave., in Oakland. Call WQED for details.
Sunday, November 13
• Echoes of Erin on WEDO 810am beginning at 12:30pm. The Ireland Report from Galway with Brian Nolan. www.wedo810.com ‘Listen Live’. Special Program “The Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem Revisited”, guest in studio with me is Sean Cogan, with The Cogan Brothers. Information Diane Byrnes 412.781.6368.
Thursday, Friday, & Saturday, November 17, 18, & 19
• Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622, features Kevin McKrell out of New York and a soloist. Kevin is also with the group, The McKrells.
Sunday, November 20
• Gaelic Arts Society of Pgh will sponsor their Memorial Mass at St. Paul Cathedral in Oakland, Noon.
Saturday, November 26
• In IRELAND – Annual Pól Kinsella Function in conjunction with ’81 Hunger Strike Committee, remembering all those who played their roll during the 1981 Hunger Strike period both inside Blanketmen / Women Armagh and outside Relatives Action Committee / Youth Against Oppression.
• Michael Landra, the voice of Riverdance, (took over from Brian Kennedy) Performing in Concert, ‘Beyond Celtic’ at 8:00pm, The Palace Theatre, 21 West Otterman St., Greensburg PA. 15601 http://www.thepalacetheatre.org/ . (724) 836.8000. His new TV special “Michael Londra Beyond Celtic” features an onstage 25 piece orchestra and choir with guests like Frankie Gavin and De Dannan plus Irish sisters, Sephira and airs across the US and Canada.
• AOH Division 17 in Monroeville present “Corned Beef & Curry” at the Club Rooms, from 8:30pm. Information Bill O’Neil, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, November 27
• Echoes of Erin on WEDO 810AM, The Ireland Report from Belfast with Mairtin O’Muilleoir.
• The Celtic Tenors in Concert at The Strand Theater 119 North Main Street, Zelienople, 16063 http://www.thestrandtheater.org/index.htm , 7:30pm. Tickets $39 @ Ovation Tix 866.811.4111. Further information call theatre 724.742.0400.
Sunday, December 4
• Echoes of Erin on WEDO 810am, The Ireland Report with Patricia Sharkey, Donegal; Editor of the Donegal Newsletter at www.dun-na-ngall.com. Live Stream – www.wedo810.com click on “Listen Live’.
Tuesday, December 6
• The Ladies AOH Division 4 present Andy Cooney’s Classical Irish Christmas Show at the West View Fireman’s Hall, doors open at 6:30pm. Reservations requested by November 29th. Information: Sue Donnelly, Email: Pjsdonnell@aol.com .
Friday, December 9
• Gaelic Arts Society of Pgh will sponsor their Annual Christmas Party. Reservations Earl McCabe 412.761.1844.
Monday, December 19
• The Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh ‘Special Christmas Show’ and drawing for the Winning Ticket on “The Irish Castle Vacation Prize Raffle”. Event takes place at Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412.642.6622. Tickets available at the Institute 412.394.3900, $20 each. IF you can sell any tickets call The Institute.Irish Groups & Organizations
Ancient Order of Hibernians, Allegheny County Board, AOH Division 1, 4, & 17 - http://www.pittsburghirish.org/AOH/index.htm
Ancient Order of Hibernians, Division 32 - http://aoh32.org/blog.html
Daughters of Erin and Knights of Equity - http://www.knightsofequity.com/daughters.html
Hall Rental, Blair Leahy – 724-935-4015
Gaelic League of Pittsburgh - www.cngaeilge.com
Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh - www.iiofpitt.org.
Irish American Unity Conference - www.pittsburghirish.org/IAUC/index.htm
Irish Centre of Pittsburgh – http://www.pittsburghirish.org/irishcentre
Pittsburgh Ceili Club - www.pittsburghceiliclub.org/
Pittsburgh Irish Centre - http://www.pittsburghirish.org/irishcentre/index.htm
Southwestern PA Emerald Society
Guests & Interviews in 2011
Jan 2012 David Regan, Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle’s 20th AnniversarySPONSORS OF THE IRELAND REPORT 2011
January, February & March - Goodrich, Goodrich Attorney’s At Law, 412.281.1455
April - AOH Division 1, South Hills
May - Knights of Equity http://www.knightsofequity.com/
June - AOH Division 4, North Hills
July - Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh
August – Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle
September - AOH County Board
October - AOH Division 32, Carnegie
November - Irish American Unity Conference
December -Daughters of Erin, http://www.knightsofequity.com/doepgh.htmlInspirational Moments -- Sponsored by
March – Tom Jennings, Prudential Reality
September – Gaelic Arts Society of Pittsburgh
October – LAOH Maude Gonne Division 32 in Carnegie
November, December -- OPEN