• Echoes of Erin
  • Sundays 12:30PM - 2:00PM
  • WEDO Radio 810AM

One hundred thousand welcomes to you to my official blog of all things Irish from me, Diane Byrnes, host of the Echoes of Erin radio show on WEDO Radio 810AM.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The Festival Season

Did you know you could make an 'Irish Weekend' almost every weekend of the year? If you were so inclined, you could travel to the various cities around the US and enjoy Irish Music, shopping, food and many interesting people.

My traveling was limited this summer to the Cleveland Cultural Festival in July and the Pittsburgh Irish Festival in September. Eileen Ivers and Immigrant Soul was a featured group in Cleveland; and they are brilliant. Along with being superb musicians, Eileen Ivers and her husband Brian Mulligan are two of the nicest people. Brian and I talked for a couple of hours Saturday night and it was such a delight. Pictured below Brian, me, and Eileen.

Another one of my favorites out of Cleveland is John Delaney from The New Barleycorn. John and I have known each other for many years and his music is always good. That is Alec DiGabrielle in the background at the Gazebo Stage.

Here is one of my friends from Pittsburgh, Michael Drohan. Michael is originally from County Tipperary and has lived in Pittsburgh for many years. He has not lost his charm or accent.

Last year at the Milwaukee Irish Fest I had the pleasure of meeting Beoga, out of County Antrim. This year they performed at the Pittsburgh festival and were excellent. They are a five piece group (looks like I didn't capture all of them), playing traditional with big jazz influences. That is Maeve Dunne from County Limerick on fiddle along with beautiful vocals. They were a real treat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home