Dateline - April 19
WEDO 810 am
Sunday’s, 1:00pm – 2:00pm
Irish / Celtic Radio Programming
Diane V. Byrnes DATELINE IRISH
78 GRANT AVE. April 19, 2009
PITTSBURGH, PA. 15223 PROGRAM # 1100
Sunday, April 19
· The Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians, St. Anne Division 21, South Hills, celebrates 100th Anniversary with Mass and Brunch at South Hills Country Club beginning at 10:30 AM. Tickets $30.00, call Eileen O’Malley at 412-341-2974 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or President Jean O’Malley 412-531-3855.
· AOH Sean MacBride Division 32, Mass & Communion Breakfast at The Priory on the North Side. www.aoh32.org
· Echoes of Erin 1:00PM on WEDO 810AM – The Ireland Report with Davy Kettyles from Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh. Interview with Tom Atkins, performing in Eugene O’Neill’s “A Moon for the Misbegotten”, Pittsburgh Public Theatre at the O’Reilly Theatre. Tickets 412.316.1600; mention Erin and receive $5.00 OFF ticket, or visit www.ppt.org.
· Spring Cleaning at The Irish Centre of Pittsburgh, information Jim Graven at 724.834.0233 or email@example.com.
· The Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh is seeking Host Families for young adults, 18-26, from Ireland and Northern Ireland. Call 412.394.3900, Website: www.iiofpitt.org.
Now through Saturday, May 17
· Pittsburgh Public Theatre presents “A Moon for the Misbegotten” by Eugene O’Neill, staring Tom Atkins. Directed by Pamela Berlin, Pittsburgh Public Theatre at the O’Reilly Theatre. Tickets 412.316.1600; mention Erin and receive $5.00 OFF ticket, or visit www.ppt.org.
Tuesday, April 21
· Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle, 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412-642-6622: hosting Ceiling Dancing from 7:00pm.
· Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie, 412-279-0770, it’s Irish Night with Guinness and Harp Special from 8:00 PM.
Wednesday, April 22
· IAUC will host Tony Novosel, PhD. a Professor of Irish history at the University of Pittsburgh, giving a talk about his recent trip to the North of Ireland and his research on the Ulster Volunteer Force. Finnigan’s Wake in the Quiet Man Room, 6:30PM. Free and open to the public. Information: Sarah McAuliffe 412.276.2370.
· Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie features Potters Reel at 7:00PM.
· Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle, 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412-642-6622 features Trivia Night with Johnny Connolly at 7:30 PM; proceeds benefit the Pittsburgh Celtics Gaelic Youth Football Club. Following Trivia is Ballad Singer Terry Griffith.
Thursday, April 23
· The Irish Ambassador to the United States, H.E. Michael Collins, will be in Pittsburgh for a reception at the Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh at the invitation of Jim Lamb. Following the reception, the AOH County Board is hosting a social gathering at the Harp & Fiddle in the Strip District from 7:30 p.m. until 10:00 PM; snacks and munchies provided; cash bar. The Ambassador is looking forward to the opportunity to "meet and greet" the many members of the Irish Community in the Greater Pittsburgh area. He will address the group around 8:00 PM, followed by a short question and answer period. Mike Gallagher will be the entertainment at the Harp that night, and he'll start as soon as the Q & A session ends.
Friday, April 24
· Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie features Ballad Singer Mike Gallagher at 9:00PM.
· Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle, 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412-642-6622 features Celtic Rock with Red Hand Paddy and ‘The Guinness 250 Party’ at 9:00 PM.
Saturday, April 25
· AOH Division 1, South Hills presents ‘A Night of Irish Music’ at the Castle Shannon Volunteer Fire Hall with Ballad Singer Mike Gallagher and Corned Beef & Curry with John McCann, Bob Banjeree & Todd Hartman. Tickets Rick O’Malley 412-401-3945 or Tom Long 412-561-4181. Doors open 6:30pm.
· Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie features Jack Puskar at 9:00PM.
· Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle, 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412-642-6622 features Ceann performing all sorts of Irish music, at 9:00 PM.
Sunday, April 26
· Echoes of Erin 1:00PM on WEDO 810AM – The Ireland Report with Mairtin O’Muilleoir, Managing Director of the Belfast Media Group and CEO and Publisher of The Irish Echo in NY.
· The Gaelic Arts Society of Pittsburgh presents “The Evolution of Irish Gardens”, a slide show and lecture by Elsie Keely at Synod Hall, North Craig Street in Oakland, 2:30 PM. Social to follow. Information 412.761.1844.
· WQED TV is airing “Highland Heartbeat” with Fiona Kennedy at 5:30PM. Featured artists: Jim Malcolm from Perth former lead signer of Old Blind Dogs, Julian Isbester from Shetland-singer & actress, and Darren MacLean from Isle of Skye, plus more.
Monday, April 27
· Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie features an Acoustic Jam Session at 7:00PM.
Wednesday, April 29
· Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie features Potters Reel at 7:00PM.
· Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle, 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412-642-6622 features A Live Acoustic at 8:00 PM.
Thursday, April 30
· Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle, 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412-642-6622 features Ballad Singer, Sean McClorey at 8:30 PM.
Friday, May 1
· Matt & Shannon Heaton performing at Club Café on Southside at 7:00 PM.
· Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie features Jim Lamb on vocals & guitar at 9:00PM.
Saturday, May 2
· Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie features Mark Guiser at 9:00PM.
Saturday, May 9
· A Night of Irish Music with Sean McClorey at the Blawnox Sportsmen Club, 314 Freeport Road, Blawnox, 2nd Floor. Sponsored by Clan Na Gael, James Connolly Camp, 7:00PM-11:00PM. Donation $10.00 refreshments provided.
· Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle, 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412-642-6622 features Weathered Road, 9:00PM.
Sunday, May 3
· Echoes of Erin 1:00PM on WEDO 810AM – The Ireland Report with Patricia Sharkey, Editor of the Donegal News Letter, www.dun-na-ngall.com.
Thursday, May 10
· Pittsburgh Irish & Classical Theatre begins a new season with “Rock ‘n’ Roll” through May 30 Variety of packages available. ProArts 412-394-3353, Groups – Eric Nelson, 412-561-6000 x 206. www.picttheatre.org
Saturday, May 16
· AOH Division 17, Monroeville, 8:00PM Whiskey Limerick at Club Rooms, Broadway Blvd / Route 130 in Monroeville, Kevin O’Donnell KO719@comcast.net or 412-613-3500.
· The All Ireland Athletic Association is sponsoring their Annual Spring Dance with Matt Cunningham’s Irish Ceili Band direct from Galway, Ireland at American Legion Hall in East Pittsburgh. Information Ray Connolly 412.373.7252.
· Paddy’s Pour House, 215 East Main Street, Carnegie features Ballad Singer, Mike Gallagher at 9:00PM.
May 21 – 30
· ‘The Heart of Ireland Tour’ with Robbie O’Connell, visiting the ‘Northern Sights’ 1-800-299-CELT or http://www.celtica.com/Ireland/tour_desc.html. Visiting Sligo, Donegal, Ulster Folk Museum, Bushmills, Giant’s Causeway, Newry, and Newgrange in Counties. Meath and Dublin.
Friday, May 22
· Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle, 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412-642-6622 features The Wild Colonial Bhoys from North Carolina, 9:00PM.
Friday & Saturday, May 29 & 30
· Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle, 2329 Penn Ave., in The Strip, 412-642-6622 features Seamus Kennedy at 9:00PM.
· AOH Division 17, Monroeville, 8:00PM The Rivermen at Club Rooms, Broadway Blvd / Route 130 in Monroeville. Kevin O’Donnell at KO719@comcast.net or 412 613-3500
· AOH St. Patrick’s Division 4 in North Hills will host their Irish Day of Entertainment at Schitizen Park (Croatian Center) off Babcock Blvd. in Millvale; from Noon featuring The Irish Lads from Scranton, PA.
Friday, June 19
· Singer, songwriter, musician Luka Bloom will be performing in concert at the South Park Amphitheater, corner of Brownsville & McCorkle Roads, 7:30PM, 412.835.4810. Luka Bloom out of Dublin is brother to Christy Moore.
July 29 through August 1
·The AOH Pennsylvania State Convention will take place at the Radisson Hotel in Greentree. Information: Denny Donnelly, 412-276-9312, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and Patti Flaus, Email: email@example.com.
August 14, 2009 – PBS, WQED TV presents Daniel O’Donnell in Concert. Details TBA.
September 3 – 6
·The National Festival of Wales hosted by Pittsburgh’s St. David’s Society, at Hilton Hotel. There will be Concerts, Seminars, a Welsh Songfest plus more. Details TBA.
Saturday, September 19
·AOH Sean MacBride Division 32, 20th Anniversary Celebration at Chartiers Country Club.
Saturday, October 3
·Thistle & Pine 2nd Annual Celtic Festival, 10:00AM to 5:00PM, 7570 Route 119 Highway N., Marion Center PA. Info 724-397-2442. Pipers, Highland Dancers, Free Admittance.
Friday & Saturday, November 6 & 7
·The Balmoral Classic at Shady Side Academy, Fox Chapel. Featuring the US Junior Solo Bagpiping Championship Competition & Concert at Hillman Center for Performing Arts. Information: George Balderose, 412.323.2707 or www.balmoralclassic.org OR www.bagpiping.org
Saturday & Sunday, November 21 & 22
·Senator John Heinz History Center presents ‘The 2009 Heritage Holidays Weekend’ featuring Ethnic Foods, Live Performances, Holiday Decorations, Easy Crafts, Heritage Information. History Center at 1212 Smallman St. in The Strip. Other details TBA.
February 6-13, 2010
·Irish Festival Cruise aboard Costa Atlantica, sailing the Western Caribbean with The Black Family, The Elders, Johnny McEvoy, Karen Casey, David Munnelly Band, Captain Mackie Goatskin & String Band, Tommy Sands, Ennis, and Matt Cunningham’s Irish Ceili Band. 1-800-441-HARP.
March - GDC Fine Jewelry, North Huntingdon PA
April - AOH Division 17, Monroeville
October - LAOH Maude Gonne, Division 32, Carnegie
GUESTS and INTERVIEWS 2009
April 12 - Easter Rising Program
May 3 - Jack Webber, Knights of Equity
Nov 8 - Terri Blanchette, Community Programs Director, Senator John Heinz History Center
SPONSORS OF THE IRELAND REPORT 2009
January, February & March - Goodrich, Goodrich Attorney’s At Law, 412.281.1455
April - AOH Division 1, South Hills
May - Knights of Equity http://www.knightsofequity.com/
June - AOH Division 4, North Hills
July - Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh
August - AOH Division 21, Garfield-Bloomfield
September - AOH County Board
October - AOH Division 32, Carnegie
November - Irish American Unity Conference
December - Daughters of Erin, http://www.knightsofequity.com/doepgh.html